HomeGeneral Discussion

Topics not related specifically to Anza Borrego

EC O85 Messages in this topic - RSS

DesertWRX
DesertWRX
Posts: 133


6/2/2014
DesertWRX
DesertWRX
Posts: 133
Tried to get over to the Carrizo Impact Area last Wednesday and had the trip from hell on 085. The silt is DEEP right now!


My dust from getting through the first section


I'm stuck


Thought the train might stop and pull me out... kidding!


If you can make out my tracks you will see I was driving blind! Next time I will take Pole Line over to here!
edited by DesertWRX on 6/2/2014
link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2284


6/2/2014
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2284
That thing is 2WD only isn't it?

--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
link
Borregolinda
Borregolinda
Posts: 69


6/2/2014
Borregolinda
Borregolinda
Posts: 69
dsefcik wrote:
That thing is 2WD only isn't it?


Yup!
link
tommy750
tommy750
Posts: 827


6/3/2014
tommy750
tommy750
Posts: 827
How do you roll the windows up on that thing? 100 degrees and billowing silt, nice smile Tom
link
tommy750
tommy750
Posts: 827


6/3/2014
tommy750
tommy750
Posts: 827
This is something I found recently online. It comments on U.S. Gypsum and the history of the mining railway next to EC085.



Mineral Resources of the Fish Creek
Mountains Wilderness Study Area,
Imperial County, California
By VICTORIA R. TODD, DAVID E. DETRA, JAMES E. KILBURN,
ANDREW GRISCOM, and FRED A. KRUSE
U.S. Geological Survey
HARRY W. CAMPBELL
U.S. Bureau of Mines 1987



A large gypsum mine owned and operated by the U.S. Gypsum
Company lies 1.5 mi west of the study area (the U.S.
Gypsum quarry). The Imperial Gypsum quarry
produced a small, unknown tonnage of gypsum
that was marketed as a soil conditioner in the Imperial
Valley. The U.S. Gypsum Company has
18 unpatented placer claims inside the study area.
Completion of the San Diego and Arizona
Eastern Railroad in 1920 permitted the Fish
Creek Mountains gypsum deposits to be mined.
Imperial Gypsum and Oil Corporation acquired a large
block of gypsum claims in the Fish Creek Mountains
and constructed a narrow gauge railroad from the San
Diego and Arizona Eastern track to the deposit in
1922. The first shipment of crude gypsum was made in
1922. In 1924, Pacific Portland Cement Company
bought the Fish Creek Mountains gypsum operations
and built a calcining plant (Plaster City plant) at the
junction of the narrow gauge railroad with the main
line. The Plaster City plant and quarry were sold in
1945 to U.S. Gypsum Company who modernized and
expanded the operation. In 1971, the U.S. Gypsum
quarry produced 742,000 tons of gypsum,
making it the largest operating gypsum mine
in the United States.
link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2284


6/3/2014
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2284
tommy750 wrote:
How do you roll the windows up on that thing? 100 degrees and billowing silt, nice smile Tom
Tom, you are the only silt cryer I have met...most of us just brush it off...

--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2284


6/3/2014
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2284
Interesting, the largest in the US...thanks for posting that...

tommy750 wrote:
This is something I found recently online. It comments on U.S. Gypsum and the history of the mining railway next to EC085.



Mineral Resources of the Fish Creek
Mountains Wilderness Study Area,
Imperial County, California
By VICTORIA R. TODD, DAVID E. DETRA, JAMES E. KILBURN,
ANDREW GRISCOM, and FRED A. KRUSE
U.S. Geological Survey
HARRY W. CAMPBELL
U.S. Bureau of Mines 1987



A large gypsum mine owned and operated by the U.S. Gypsum
Company lies 1.5 mi west of the study area (the U.S.
Gypsum quarry). The Imperial Gypsum quarry
produced a small, unknown tonnage of gypsum
that was marketed as a soil conditioner in the Imperial
Valley. The U.S. Gypsum Company has
18 unpatented placer claims inside the study area.
Completion of the San Diego and Arizona
Eastern Railroad in 1920 permitted the Fish
Creek Mountains gypsum deposits to be mined.
Imperial Gypsum and Oil Corporation acquired a large
block of gypsum claims in the Fish Creek Mountains
and constructed a narrow gauge railroad from the San
Diego and Arizona Eastern track to the deposit in
1922. The first shipment of crude gypsum was made in
1922. In 1924, Pacific Portland Cement Company
bought the Fish Creek Mountains gypsum operations
and built a calcining plant (Plaster City plant) at the
junction of the narrow gauge railroad with the main
line. The Plaster City plant and quarry were sold in
1945 to U.S. Gypsum Company who modernized and
expanded the operation. In 1971, the U.S. Gypsum
quarry produced 742,000 tons of gypsum,
making it the largest operating gypsum mine
in the United States.


--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
link
tommy750
tommy750
Posts: 827


6/4/2014
tommy750
tommy750
Posts: 827
dsefcik wrote:
tommy750 wrote:
How do you roll the windows up on that thing? 100 degrees and billowing silt, nice smile Tom
Tom, you are the only silt cryer I have met...most of us just brush it off...



I've been called many a thing, but silt cryer is a first smile
link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2284


6/4/2014
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2284
dsefcik wrote:
most of us just brush it off...
And wash the trail dust down with a bit of Jack Daniels...Toast

--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
link






Powered by Jitbit Forum 8.3.8.0 © 2006-2013 Jitbit Software