Scooter

all messages by user

12/23/2017
Topic:
Best route for hike from Laguna to desert floor?

Scooter
Scooter
We did this hike last year dropped off of Monument Peak Rd. Dropped off my pack and hiking partner then parked my new truck in Mount Laguna and rode my bike back to the Monument Peak Rd turnout. Locked it to the gate. Dropped off and followed the ridge down to the desert floor. A lot of Bush whacking at first then it opens up there are cairns along the ridge top. Dropped onto the desert floor in section 5. Found a spring with good water at the end of the road in section 4. Spent the night away from the spring huge mountain lion prints by the spring !! There is a boulder the size of a house southeast of the spring that is very interesting. Hiked out the next day to Auga Caliente park and soaked in the mineral waters. Great trip not that hard.
4/23/2018
Topic:
No Big Horn this year seen during hiking

Scooter
Scooter
Saw three on Sunset Peak a few months ago saw one in Split Mountain before the anticline last Wednesday.
5/25/2018
Topic:
No Big Horn this year seen during hiking

Scooter
Scooter
Boy ...Canebreak Jeff was right !! I camped at Auga Caliente on Wednesday. I had to wait for the 11 bighorn to cross the driveway so I could get to my campsite. They were everywhere including the babies !!
12/14/2018
Topic:
Sheep Canyon campground road conditions?

Scooter
Scooter
Coyote Canyon is closed !! Went out Wednesday to find the gate locked at third crossing. Sign says closed to vehicles and hikers. As we drove out a park maintenance worker said the recent rains damaged the road. Not sure why it is closed to hikers. I would call the rangers if you plan a trip out there to see if it is open.
2/1/2019
Topic:
The "Original" LA Rams

Scooter
Scooter
Great article. Thanks for sharing.
2/16/2019
Topic:
Granite Mountain Peak?

Scooter
Scooter
Hiked Granite a few months ago. Took the route from the old Redmond gold mine on the Southwest side of the mountain. Parked on Rodriquez truck trail 1/4 mile north of Oriflame Road. Look for a rock carin on the right side of the road. You follow the road up to the mine. Gained the ridge just East of the mine. The ridge where the last A in Anza is on the Topo The fire did clear out all the brush. Easy walk up to the peak. Great hike with a bonus gold mine thrown inπŸ˜€
2/16/2019
Topic:
Granite Mountain Peak?

Scooter
Scooter
rockhopper wrote:
It took two attempts to summit Granite mtn. The first time we got slammed by a snow storm. This was back in the 90's. A week later we went back to clear sunny skies. Went up from the S2/East side following the dry creek trail. Neat grinding holes along the creek so look for them. Then up the ridge and scramble to the top.
More recently from Rodriguez canyon. I parked near the turmoline mine near the PCT and just scrambled up the west side.

Scooter. Is that the gold mine the one with a shaft on the south side of the mountain slope? That oriflamme canyon road from the bottom was "interesting" to get to the saddle. I think I'll only drive it once.
edited by rockhopper on 2/16/2019
2/16/2019
Topic:
Granite Mountain Peak?

Scooter
Scooter
Yes it is it is the mine shaft on the Topo in section 21. The old dirt road takes you to the mine. I am sure Oriflamme road is very muddy right now. I would wait until it dries out. It was a great trip
2/18/2019
Topic:
Granite Mountain Peak

Scooter
Scooter
Looks like a great trip. This morning the Mount LAGUNA HPRREN camera showed Granite covered in snow. I just checked it and it is gone.
2/18/2019
Topic:
Granite Mountain Peak

Scooter
Scooter
Ok I am not much of a tech guy.. Google hpwwren cameras. Scroll down to Mount Laguna cameras. There are four camera pictures one for each compass direction N,S,E and W. The north is the first picture on the left. If you zoom in you can see S2 in Mason Valley. Granite Mountain is above the end of S2. If you can figure how to go back to this morning's pictures you will see it covered in snow.
2/18/2019
Topic:
Granite Mountain Peak

Scooter
Scooter
That's it. A little later in the morning the peak is in the sun.
4/18/2019
Topic:
Indianhead mountain

Scooter
Scooter
Just climbed Indianhead mountain Tuesday. 4 hours up, an hour at the summit, and 4 hours down. This was a tough hike. Roberto and I have climbed 6582, villager and Rabbit and this is a tough one. My 1986 Schad book says there is a faint trail on his route. After 33 years I would think there would be more of a trail. Just cairns gooing up the ridge. If your looking for a difficult day hike this is it. Not sure how to add pictures
4/18/2019
Topic:
Indianhead mountain

Scooter
Scooter
Buford wrote:
Nice. Which route did you take? If you went up BPC, how bad was the brush?

For posting pictures on here, I use a flickr account to host them.
4/18/2019
Topic:
Indianhead mountain

Scooter
Scooter
Buford took Schads route up Borrego Palm Canyon 2.5 miles. Then turned North and went up the ridge toward the peak. I agree 6582 is probably the toughest hike out there. No brush on the entire route. The reeds in BPC were not bad.
4/24/2019
Topic:
Villager Peak

Scooter
Scooter
dsefcik wrote:
I have said in previous posts, the top of the 'Rosa's are one of my favorites, the views of the Salton Sea, Cochella Valley at night and all of ABDSP are just amazing. I fully recommend an overnight stay when possible. The sunrise over the Salton Sea is just gorgeous from that altitude. Nice TR, thanks for sharing.
4/24/2019
Topic:
Villager Peak

Scooter
Scooter
A good way to do Rabbit is spend the night on Villager and leave early in the morning for Rabbit. After you get back from Rabbit hike out to your car. The views from Villager are much better than Rabbit since it has A lot of trees and brush. We also like it leave water bottles on the trail on the way up to Villager so you don't have to carry all the water up.
5/28/2019
Topic:
Rabbit East Ridge Loop

Scooter
Scooter
Nice way to end the season! I felt your pain and fatigue while reading your trip report. Great report, might have to skip that one πŸ˜€
6/17/2019
Topic:
Imperial Valley Desert Museum

Scooter
Scooter
I just wanted to pass on, the Imperial Valley Desert Museum in Ocotillo has a fund raising grant that expires on June 30th 2019. They have a matching NEH endowment challenge grant that matches dollar for dollar on donations until June 30th. The museum has the most extensive display of Kumeyaay pottery I have ever seen. Along with arrow straighteners and videos from the Kumeyaay themselves on how they live off the land.
So it is really easy to donate. Just call on the phone and donate they will e mail a receipt and you can write it off on your taxes. Thanks for your time Scooter

Museum 760 358 7016 ivdesertmuseum.org